Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Technical Aspect

It seems that all our lives revolves around machines simplifying what could still(in some cases must) be done by us,the human race. Yes, the technically technical machines do help, ease the load of human intervention, save time which is indeed money(lost of it) and to some extent take away our jobs. I find it very pleasing when these applications seamlessly put us in touch with our loved ones,they close that distance in a matter on rings...

I consider myself,well,technically astute and what interests me most is the "Middleware" or to be politically correct, the API (Application Program[ing] Interface). This is one,in my opinion, most imperative component of our technology stack.Layman's terms:

Take 2 cellphones. Cell-A makes the call to Cell-B,what transpires after u press the green (dial) button,the API kicks in.The reason they call it middleware is that it sits between the "Hardware"(our case, cellphones).The Cell-A's API will execute scripts that inter alia,checks if you have money,where u calling from,who you want to call and so forth,all this happens against a Server/Host(in our case, the big-mean monsterous super computer that holds everyones details,cell details that is. The mean monster,if happy of the conditions met, will route your call to Cell-B and (CLI)caller line identification come into place,simply put, tells Cell-B that Cell-A is calling.

When this technology fails, our worlds tend to grind backwards.We are over-dependent on them that without it, the results are cataclysmic!

I just had my fair share of technicall-irregularities today and was in a not so tech-friendly mood. I believe i was fine before i knew how it works,now that it doesnt want to work(mostly often) when i know how it works,pisses me off.

for now, i need to have a drag of my siggy,which by the way were made by machines with API in 'em.

Laters

No comments: